When determining the success of an Instagram presence, marketers will use a variety of analytics – with none more important than the engagement rate. While it’s great to reach as many people as possible, accounts are typically deemed more successful with high engagement. For example, if an account has 100,000 followers and receives 100 likes per post, would you consider that as successful as an account with 1,000 followers and 100 likes per post? Most likely, the latter is much more impressive, as it shows that your content strategy is high-quality and resonating well with your audience. Are you seeking to connect more with your audience? Check out these 5 ways to increase engagement on Instagram.
1. Take time to proactively increase numbers by interacting with other users. Instagram, unlike other social media platforms, still features a “like for like” and “follow for follow” etiquette. If someone follows you and likes your posts, it’s typically considered polite to return the follow and like several posts back. So, by initiating follows and likes, you’ll begin to slowly – but steadily – encourage more engagement on your account.
2. Additionally, make sure to respond to all comments on each post you create. Not only does this bump your post up in the algorithm due to your extra comments and responsiveness, but it also helps you connect with your audience on a more personal level. People love to be interacted with – even a simple “thumbs up” emoji can make your brand seem appealing and encourage more clients.
3. Perform A/B testing on various posting days and times, as well as on the hashtags you use. Don’t be afraid to try new things with your Instagram posts. Analyze your audience and determine the performance of your posts by varying certain factors. For example, keep track of how many likes your posts get on Mondays compared to Fridays. Then, go further and keep track on how many likes your posts get on Mondays with the hashtag #motivation compared to Fridays with the same hashtag. When you find something that works, stick with it and then keep trying additional methods on other posts to continue positive growth.
4. Create frequent Instagram Stories. Businesses often neglect the effectiveness of Instagram Stories, which offer an additional opportunity to get out in front of your audience and stay relevant in their minds. Trying to increase engagement on a specific post? Create Stories that alert your followers of new posts and encourage them to go check it out – especially for posts that ask a question to fuel discussion.
5. Post daily. The most important way to support your efforts in increasing engagement is to post daily – even on the weekends. This boosts organic engagement by ensuring that you appear in the feeds of your followers frequently.
Increasing your engagement rate on Instagram is one of the most important factors in crafting a captivating social media presence. Analyze your insights and ensure the content you’re creating is resonating with your audience. Then, take time to implement these five Instagram engagement strategies.